Saturday, June 25, 2011

Maine-ly Beautiful

Being from the Midwest, I know very little about the East coast...not to mention New England. This was my first trip to NE in years. You'd think for the first return trip, fate/life would go for something more modest like a major city. Nope, not in this case. As life would have it, this trip I was going all the way up the coast to Maine for an absolutely breath-taking destination wedding. And wow was it beautiful. It had all the dark beauty of northwoods Wisconsin but it was mixed with the ocean to add a heavy feeling of age and wisdom. The rock formations alone were unlike any I'd ever seen. And the lobster was just as good as I imagined it would be.

Maybe my wonder with Maine was because of the sleepless night driving it took to get there, but I doubt it. I love sleepy little towns, and this one was covered in mist. A charming little tourist trap "downtown" with candle bowling, fudge shops, and tshirt stands and, of course, the harbor with countless fishing skiffs bobbing. I only wish there was enough time in the weekend to have gotten a harbor tour in, but I suppose that will have to wait for the next (more extended) trip to the coast of Maine. I say this and laugh because the homegirl I am can hardly imagine another trip to Maine since it had taken me this long to go for the first time, but I guess you never know with these sort of things. Even this trip wasn't something I could have imagined or plotted on 2011 till it was all of the sudden there, a wedding in Maine, but all the same, it was beautiful and absolutely somewhere I would go again given the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment